Wednesday, July 14, 2004

In Hind I sight....

Okay back from a very heavy and substantial lunch involving some very tasty papad, and coconut chutney.

Heard some great news. Sumit a mama. Can't believe it.

Anyway he won't be too happy to know that in Tamil mama, has some strange connotations albeit, a pimp, or a highly immoral person like..., say a policeman or a father-in-law. Yes! I know. Democracy does this to you. Very different from the Hindi mama.

But all the topics of babies, and languages have made me particularly nostalgic and made me think about my own childhood.

90% of which was spent trying to avoid learning Hindi. And the remaining 10% was spent learning it. I considered this a healthy balance ( Yes! I know. Democracy does this to you). But not my parents.

So there I was as a kid running around hectically avoiding learning Hindi. I hasten to act that this was not because I was a closet Dravidian, but because I was a closet cricket fanatic, and anytime not spent bowling fast ones at a bulying elder brother, I considered wasted. So of course, school was a huge waste of my time, so was politics (Yes! I know. Democracy does that to you) and even more wasteful was Hindi class, where I had to learn the gender of quite a few inanimate things, among which is classified valli, a girl from my school. Valli has now outgrown her braces, ponytails, and is now modelling for some hugely pompous brand of errr... clothes, but I remember being fascinated at the time with the question of whether valli was strilling, pulling, napumsakaling, or generally wodden. Napumsakaling was a favourite complex word for me. I remember asking an elder cousin to stop bugging me or face the angst of being called napumsakaling. We also used to shout na-pum-saka-ling on the basketball field. Not that it achieved anything. But fond memories nonetheless.

I am not a major language person. In fact Tamil is not supposed to be different from Hindi, but the nuances of it have completely escaped me, and even today popular entertainment in my homstead is to make me speak classical Tamil. Another entertaining thing. Getting me to speak Hindi.

But then where conventional education failed, the arts won(yes I know. Democracy does that to you). And in order to appreciate the arts more, I decided to learn Hindi. Primarily because I considered Hindi movies works of art, and there was nothing more entertaining than them. All over India. In fact, there was no other entertainment. On wednesdays there was Chitrahaar, and as my naani (note the appropriate Hindi word here) thrust pieces of what we South Indians fondly believed to be roti into my mouth, I would watch mouth agape as sigh! Parveen Bobby, Rekha or even Dimple shook a leg, all in tights and towering hairdos on the screen. And wonder what language they were speaking. Then there was Nukkad which I always pronounced nookath, and Hum Log, which in my childish fashion I used to pronounce as Hum vog. Yeah! I couldn't pronounce the lah. Yeah! reevvy funny.

And then there was news, which I never did understand, but always found pretty interesting as my uncle would jump about and swear quite volubly. It really looked like he had a personal interest in that thing (yes I know! Democracy does that to you), but I did get terribly confused with "Namaskaar. Aaj blah mukhya samachar". As a kid I never knew if it was ka/ki/ke. So I experimented at Will (who was my sikh neighbour), till Will decided that he better teach me certain facts in life. He failed. Miserably. To this day I have no clue if it's ka ki or ke.In fact, as a kid I took great pleasure in saying ka/ke/ki at random behind every word, and then laughing quite mischievously, at the confusion I thought I was putting people in. In all innocence I thought that if I pronounced it wrong, they would get confused about it, never struck me that they would think I was confused. But I did have a great smile! :-)

Saturday afternoons there was this movie, in which Prem Chopra would mandatorily attempt to molest some girl. Higly educational, and cultured and tasteful (yes I know! Democracy does that to you). Soon enough the line 'bach ke kahan jayegi rani' and 'kameene chod de mujhe' were imprinted in my memory. The last sentence got pretty confusing. I remember when we were playing lock and key, shouting 'kameene chod de mujhe' at Will, when I wanted to be given a key (complicated game lock and key huh!), and Will was so mightily confused, he sat down and started laughing. Not very popular. They all shouted at Will. And me. And 'kameene chod de mujhe' became the taunt of our gully.

Sunday mornings were Ramayana or Mahabaratha. As a little kid I watched the Ramayana and cried. Yeah! Pretty soft hearted. And also slept off when during an important battle scene I simply slept of due to boredom, watching all the arrows flying towards each other but never actually meeting. I was watching it leaning on nani one minute, and peacefully asleep the next minute. They woke me up for lunch. Mahabaratha I really waited for Draupadi's big scene. I wasn't the only one. Everyone in the family was waiting for that episode, and I felt that Lord Krishna was really a cad. I mean Prem Chopra wouldn't have done that. (distasteful! yes I know! Democracy does that to you). By this time I could make out most of the words. I emphasise the 'make out'. Mostly it was guess work. So I had quite a different Mahabarata running around in my head. If my nani hadn't checked up....I also got to sing 'ath shri mahabaratha katha' and say 'mein kaal hoon'. good entertainment was getting me to say it. I used to say with a twinkle in my eye 'mein kaala hoon'. this struck us as as being hugely funny, because each episode started with the dark screen, a spinning wheel, and this statement. Tautology was entertaining then.

Another big entertainer was Aaj Parliament Mein. Forget the news, which itself was quite entertaining involving members of parliament tonking each other and speaking in different languages. Later on I came to realize that the different languages were only different dialects of Hindi. Boy! Was it entertaining. 'Adyaksha mohaday' became quite a watchword, until I used it to greet a teacher at school one day. Caused quite some merriment. Ended up dispirited and disgusted with education in general and schooling in specific(yes I know! Democracy does that to you).

Remember other times, like when Mom was teaching me Hindi, and asked me to explain the sentence 'Indira Gandhi Nehru ki santaan te.' Absolutely no clue. Some rather quick thinking later came up with Nehru had a little son called Santanam who expired when he was an infant. This touched a soft spot in Mom, but after a momentary shock, she asked me to repeat it again, and then chased me around the house for an hour, threatening me that if I didn't study and continued to lie like this, I would be fit only for goat herding. Not that I would object, if it only meant no Hindi. Thank God for nani ( the person, not the word). It all ended with six quick ones on my hind, and an eternal nasty feeling in my mouth whenever somebody mentions the Gandhi family ( yes I know! Democracy can do that to you).

And then the crowning glory of Hindi culture stoneboy, jantarmantar, indra danush and of course the wonderful cartoon message 'ek ek saare anek'. Took to singing it. Modified it a little 'ek ek saale anek'. This struck a group of us ten year olds, as being so suficiently rebellious that we converted it into a secret war cry. Till we were crying out to each other, and an auntie from Delhi, heard it and complained to our parents that we were saying gandi words. Boy! did we cry that day. After that I felt supressed, hunted, and quite indignant at the kind of power wielded by Delhi, in fact I lusted for it. (yes I know! Democracy does that to you).

How can I forget the other masterpiece of Hindi culture. National unity songs. A welter of colour, different people singing. Mile sur mera tumhara, maata tumjha bhur ka tara, madhurtaraja baras ke tara, komar shu more shu, shrishti koi, hoi gatu, chaalu chapanu. A welter of colour, slick photography and children and producers confident in the belief that national unity was not so far away that they couldn't achieve it by running in together and shouting 'mile sur mera tumhara'. Ah! Idealism. (yes I know! Democracy does that to you). That and my mom's voice asking me to close my mouth and chew breakfast are all that I remember of the spirit of Indian Nationalism.

But things have changed. Grown to man's estate. Friends from Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Bengal, Orrisa, Madhya Pradesh. And a length of a country away, A home. Peace. A desire. A dream. All come true. Yes I know! Democracy does that to you.

7 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one reason why I hate hindi, they say "Train ki" and "Bus ka", whats so femenine about a train and masculine about a bus? ... ke sab non-hindi bolne log cho**** kya? I don't even attempt to speak in hindi(broken) because of this inhibition. Though I was forced to take 3rd languange as hindi in school and failed miserably on the grammer aspect, I picked up the reading/writing skills better than the spoken.

Take tamil, there is no confusion on the gender, things are classified in to 2 living & non-living, the grammer is much mature that hindi. And belive me I don't belong to the DMK ;-)

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

I think you've put in great effort learning hindi through those prem chopra movies. I probably passed all my hindi exams just because I happened to speak the language at home. But the vernacular is really different from 'good' hindi. One of the things that really annoyed me was the exercise given to summarize an entire poem, the paraphrasing business. Boy was that painful. Typically, all C.B.S.E hindi texts begin with a poem on Mother India. That's all fine. But if somebody's written a poem which speaks the same thing in more arty words, why do WE have to explain it ? I remember those overused phrases 'Kavi kehta hai.. himalay parvat ke shikharon.. blah blah'. Surely there must be a better way to learn a language..

 
At 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ..Why no new posts ?
Preethi

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Amit Jain said...

I went to Trivandrum, heard that South Indian girls are very reserved. Met a girl who was doing something absurd and asked her what are her intentions? She said "Chumma" ..........

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Amit Jain said...

Yeah thats pretty true that Gender identification in Hindi is very tough but I loved the way Ramesh has put up things. Thanks for flashing back glimpse of Ramayana, Mahabharata, Nukkad, IndraDhanush, Chitrahaar etc.

 
At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As i read through the blog, it brought out quite a few memories of my own efforts to understand hindi. Being a typical Tamil brahmin boy, i shared the same feelings as Ramesh in trying to come up with some sort of logic as to how one can comminicate in this incomprehensible language, with indifferent success though.

So finally, when the 10th boards came up....i wasnt too far from pissing in my pants before my hindi exam...........what with dad building up expectation(yes democarcy does that too) things were goin awry with respect to hindi! then came the results, i got 76...a number which i wil never forget in my life cause i had never ever seen such HIGH FLYING score in this subject!

Going back to those childhood days...one reason i was allowed to watch TV after 9:00pm on fridays was because of Ramayan....which was telecast in Hindi, with the intent(of my parents) being that it will "improve" my acumen in this mystery language!Hey, i had different intentions......Sita looked good, didnt she!!!:-)

After the boards, i thought my struggles in Hindi were finally going to be burried....i was wrong!
today, i live with 6 bloakes who predominantly speak in hindi........and the irony is..Ramesh and me talk more in Hindi these days!!So has the ka/ke/napumsakaling been resolved.........heee heee, it goes without saying that b/n ram and me anything goes fine, as long as it brings a smile on each other's face....

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger andy said...

Hey got teh link to ur blog from a friend. Man, u have an awesome sense of humour. been laughing so hard at some of these posts(with tears streaming down my face) that my PL asked me to take the rest of the day off and rest(owe ya one for that). Best of all was this post. Absolutely hit home with all the references to doordarshan and all. Can remember every one of the programs(and all the associated confusions) ya referred to. Keep the stuff coming :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home